Eat Good. Feel Good. Thrive.


In the year 2022 an obesity crisis in unfolding right in front of us. Millions of people across the globe are overfed but undernourished, meaning they have such easy access to food but often times it is prepackaged, calorie dense, and overly processed foods. There are two things that humans can do every day to fuel their bodies, minds, and souls- eat healthy and move your body. Surprisingly, this is easier said than done. A lot of us have this mentality that eating healthy has to be this complicated, expensive, and boring process and that is not the case! What we choose to consume day in and day out will affect your overall health. Whether it is positively or negatively, well that is up to you!


A Little Science Lesson

In order to understand how food gives us energy, we have to understand the science behind it. So, let’s start with calories. What is a calorie? “A calorie is a measure of the energy contained in food. We all expend a certain amount of energy each day in order for our bodies to perform their functions. The food we eat is a fuel source that provides us with that energy. Calories come in three forms: carbohydrates, fat, and protein.” (Mackey, 2017)


To simplify that, food does more for us than curbing a craving or satisfying a sweet tooth. Every food we eat will contain macro-nutrients such as carbohydrates, protein, fat. These nutrients are what give us energy, and ultimately allow our bodies to function properly. Whether we are filling up with optimal energy giving nutrients or consuming “empty calories” depends on what we are choosing to eat and drink each and every day.



Nutrients and Nourishment

            If you are looking for real energy, it is time to push energy drinks, coffee, and other sources of caffeine aside and start reaching for more complex carbs, fiber, healthy fats, and other nutrient dense options. Eating whole foods, mostly plants, and high quality proteins is the perfect recipe for feeling your best.


Here are some great examples of energizing and satiating foods:

o   Sweet potatoes

o   Oatmeal

o   Beans

o   Walnuts and almonds

o   Avocado

o   Eggs

o   Salmon



When you feel tired and depleted this is the perfect time to reach for one (or two) of these options! You might be tempted to reach for a prepackaged or overly processed but I can promise you, it won’t leave you feeling full and it won’t give you the energy you need to tackle your busy day.


Lifestyle vs Diet


When it comes to eating “good” foods and nourishing your body, there are two ways you can go about it, either through restrictive diets or through a healthy lifestyle. Read the descriptions below, which sounds more appealing to you?


Diet: short term. restrictive. tend to be trendy. caters to a broad group of people. usually not individualized to someone’s specific needs. not maintainable. can leave you feeling deprived, lethargic, and tired. can be stressful to follow


Lifestyle: maintainable. long term. eating for your body and your needs. restrictions are limited. can lead to permanent and positive health changes. will give you energy, strength, and oomph.  this way of living becomes routine.


If I had to guess I’d say you are leaning more towards embracing a healthy lifestyle, right? Let’s take a look at some easy things you can do to start being more mindful of the foods you are choosing to eat.    

o   Don’t be afraid to try new foods and new recipes, you might be surprised by what you enjoy

o   Remember it doesn’t have to be all or nothing, just focus on eating high quality and nutrient dense foods 90% of the time, and give yourself grace when you indulge (we all do it) the other 10% of the time

o   Aim to eat 5 meals a day to avoid that “mid-morning/mid-day slump”

o   Breakfast-Snack-Lunch-Snack-Dinner

o   Educate yourself, books like The Whole Food Diets and How Not to Die are great books that really explain the importance and benefits of following a whole foods/plant-based diet.

o   Remember that eating good foods is what fuels us and keeps us healthy, but it is also meant to be ENJOYABLE. Think of healthy eating as a privilege, not a burden.



“When diet is wrong, medicine is of no use. When diet is correct, medicine is of no need.”

—Ayurvedic proverb

No comments